* Coral Primary School * Jurong Primary School * Jurong West Primary School * Kong Hwa Primary School* East View Primary School * Canossa Convent Primary School* Mayflower Primary School * Mee Toh Primary School* St Hilda’s Primary School * White Sands Primary School* Jurong West Primary School * Queenstown Primary School* Chai Chee Secondary School * Tanjong Katong Secondary School * Gan Eng Seng Secondary School * MacPherson Secondary School * Clementi Town Secondary School * Tampines Junior College * Yishun Secondary School * Jurong Junior College * Millennia Institute * Singapore Polytechnic * Nanyang Academy of Fine Arts * Ngee Ann Polytechnic * St. Stephen Girl’s School (Hong Kong) * Burapha University (Thailand) * Nanyang Technological University (S’pore) * Institute of Technical Education (S’pore) * Movement for Intellectually Disabled (S’pore) * Gifted Education Program, MOE (S’pore) * Housing Development Board * Civil Service College * Inland Revenue Authority of S’pore * Exxon-Mobil * Prudential Assurance Singapore *
Kwang is very motivated in promoting the cause of creativity in teaching. His workshop is filled with colourful anecdotes about eminent creators and creative teachers. It inspires me to unleash the creative spirit in my own students.Jeremy Lee, Nan Chiau Primary School
I have a great time in applying what I’d learnt in this workshop to my own class. I was also able to combine maths, art and mother tongue in one lesson. The students were happy as I brought them out of the classroom to conduct my lesson. They now beg for more of such lessons to be conducted.Noor Naime, Telok Kurau Primary School
A very practical and interesting workshop. I learned how to nurture creativity in my students. I am made aware of creativity killers and how to protect students from them. I can apply what I have learned to my lessons.Constance Kwok, Chong Boon Secondary School
A very good introduction to the psychology of creativity. I have learnt many useful and applicable concepts to use in the classroom. Dr Ng is very passionate and knowledgeable about the subject matter. More than that, he has also inspired me to be a more creative teacher. Best of all, with the knowledge he has imparted, I know how to now!Faridah Ahmad, English & Literature
Excellent session with lots of creative ideas & theories. I like the idea that all the information were uploaded before the first day of lesson. Interesting books on creativity by Kwang which is a great source of reference for this module on creativity.Jimmy Chia, National Institute of Education
Dr Ng is very knowledgeable and clear with his examples on creativity and happiness. I enjoyed his workshop and find the content to be very helpful in enabling me to assist my students.Tay S C, ITE College East
Dr Kwang has conducted an amazing module. It gave me many ideas on creativity and made me think in-depth on how to develop creativity in my pupils.Jacqueline Minjoot, National Institute of Education
Excellent course with lots of ideas and surprises for every lesson. Through this course, I discovered a new perspective on how to design creative lessons. I also learned more about my own personality. I hope that other teachers will come for this course and experience the joyous feeling of being creative.William Lee Choong How, Mathematics
Dr Kwang is very approachable and it makes this intensive course less stressful and surprisingly enjoyable. Thank you Dr Kwang for a meaningful and enjoyable inter-semester course!Lorraine Tan, National Institute of Education
The course has given me a deeper insight into my role and ability as a creative teacher. Kwang has shared many invaluable info and techniques to understand creativity, and how to be creative. I will recommend this course for teachers looking to give their students an extra “oomph” in creative teaching & learning.Grace Lim, National Institute of Education
The course turned out to be an eye-opener for me. It interested me tremendously and led me to do a lot of introspection. Professor Ng’s passion in the subject of creativity is inspiring and should be carried on beyond NIE.Junie Ong, National Institute of Education
Workshop Feedback from Senior Teachers – “Nurturing Creativity in the Classroom”
Things that I have learnt
Creativity can be nurtured
Creative ways of teaching
Creativity can be assessed
Interdisciplinary lesson plans can be interesting
What a creative product is
Wonders of creativity in IDEO
Creativity starts with ordinary things around you
Use creative lessons to build student interest
Planning a creative lesson needs time & effort
Creativity can be in any form e.g., poetry, picture
4 Ps of Creativity: Person/Press/Process/Product
Ask for forgiveness not permission
Allow organized chaos in the creative classroom
Creativity is not so boring after all
Things that I would like to use
Creative problem-solving using innovative style
Different assessment criteria for creativity
Creative lesson plan in Science, Arts, Maths.
Creative techniques e.g., brainstorming
Creative puzzles e.g., two-string problem
Ordinary things to trigger off a creative lesson
Student-made items e.g., paper boat, robot
Empower students to give creative solutions
Managing creative students who’re disruptive
Open-minded attitude in the classroom
Video on The Deep Dive
Video on Dead Poets Society
Assessing myself as a creative teacher
Understanding my strengths & weaknesses
Student Feedback on Creative Thinking Course @ Singapore Management University
1. It helps us to know more about how creative we can be…inspires us to tap on our creativity.
2. The way the Prof delivers his lessons is very interesting and unique. He allows us to express our creativity through interesting and challenging activities.
3. The fact that it helps you to think out of the box, be more open to new experiences and use creative thinking to solve everyday problems. In a world where innovation is critical, CT helps us open our minds and use our thinking and other skills to get ahead.
4. Very interesting. I learnt a lot about how creativity and personality can be linked. Prof is a very creative person, and I learnt a lot from him.
5. The fun nature and atmosphere of the class. Very light and de-stressing. I REALLY enjoyed myself during the class!
6. I had fun working with my group members in the team project. In addition, I get to know myself better and learn how to be a more positive person as I work on my personal portfolio. Overall, the entire course is made very relaxing and refreshing by the Prof.
7. Very interesting to learn about ourselves, and how to improve our creativity. Especially fun to work in groups to come up with our creative product, or the in-class games.
8. This course on Creative Thinking is very interesting. It helps me to know more about my own creative strengths and weaknesses through the psychological tests conducted.
9. The Prof is very helpful in answering all our questions on creativity. I am deeply impressed by his broad and deep knowledge on creativity.
10. Prof Ng has taught this module using the psychological approach. He gives us an insight on how we can develop the creative part in ourselves which we may have thought we do not have. His way of teaching creativity using the psychological approach has made this module very interesting and enlightening.